Friday, June 22, 2012

Friends and a booty call

I have read different posts about working at home. And the one thing that is repeatedly mentioned is how your social life becomes fairly limited. I guess it's generalising, really. I'm sure there are a lot of people who work from home but maintain a healthy social life. Then again, who set the standard for a "healthy social life"? What I feel so far after working almost six months from home, I don't really have a social life. I think I made the right decision to move back home after (almost) four years living in the capital. Here, I reconnected with my old social circle.

Alas, time changes everything, as we know it. Friends moved away, got married, got married and divorced, got a mad girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband, got carried away with work...which basically make them impossible to meet. I knew something like this would happen when I moved back. It wasn't a big surprise. But that doesn't mean I can't be sad, right? Anyway, there are still a few close friends whom I can relate to and see from time to time. Eventually, what lasts is what has been existing in life since a long time ago. 

A friend said I need to make new friends. This is when the "working from home" becomes an issue. Because I mostly stay at home and work, I don't really go out. When I do go out, it's when I see my friends from the same circle. So, it's like I'm not really making any effort to create a new social circle. I think I'm succeeding with people in different countries, but not in my own home town, strangely enough. Sometimes, I question whether I'm a bit of an antisocial. But then again, several friends said I'm the ice breaker between friends. Not that antisocial apparently. Oh well. It doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I got a booty blackberry message from a friend last night. Actually this is the reason why I started writing this post. I remember I was thinking of going out because I was a bit bored and a bit annoyed no one asked me to go out and hang out. Then this friend bbm-ed me and he was drinking and saying wasn't drunk...couldn't get drunk (yea, right). Not long after that he started getting a bit sexual and I knew where he was going with the conversation. He insisted in going to my house (which was a crazy idea since I live with my parents) and I told him no and that he should keep on drinking and mind his own business. Eventually I turned off my phone because he didn't stop harassing me.

That was my first experience. And I can simply shrug it off because he's drunk and generally a nice person. But it made last night even more annoying. A lesson learned: I can be sad, but I'm not sad enough to submit myself to a booty call (or bbm or sms or whatever). Yay dignity.  

No comments: