Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Get yourself a monkey translator

source: the-legion-of-decency.blogspot.com
So, I just turned down a job because the client was an ass. Well, that sounds a bit pompous. Basically, what happened was an acquaintance of mine needed a translation done. So, he asked me a quote for the job. This was very normal and standard. I sent him my quote with a long explanation about how complicated the job was and the possibility of me actually incapable of getting the job done (hence, he needed to find another translator). I felt I was being fair my giving a reasonable explanation and reasonable price. And you know what? He said it was a ripoff. 

I was quite offended by it. I have never received this kind of treatment from any other clients. Normally, if a client thinks that my rate is too expensive, he/she will just politely say that it's too expensive for him/her and that he/she will try to do the translation by themselves or find cheaper translators. Fine by me. I have stopped taking peanuts as a payment since a couple of years ago, when I think my skill and experience should be rewarded professionally. 

The things that irked me were 1) this client is a foreigner, so that made me feel like he was comparing me with other people who like to rip off foreigners; 2) is it so hard to just tell me the price is too expensive and maybe I can make it cheaper somehow?; 3) the fact that he still asked about my translation rate after he said I tried to rip him off.

Often I ask myself, what is too expensive and what is too less? It's not easy to put a price on your skill, unless you're working in an area where there are certain pricing standards. But, as far as I know, most freelancers set their own standards. I sometimes will deliberately lower my rate when a friend asks for my help. Sometimes I even do it for free if I see a good reason for it. Sometimes I would double my rate if I think the job is impossible, and so on and so forth. And I have never once being told I tried to rip someone off. Until today.

I guess it comes down to know yourself and your abilities. Figuring out how to respect yourself so other people will do the same. If I don't stand up for myself, then this person will think he can get away with his attitude. People who give peanuts, should just get monkeys to work for them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and "harga temen", meh!

Unknown said...

yes, that's even more annoying. i will actually consider if he/she IS a good friend before i give a quote. if you're still asking for "harga temen", it means you are not my friend :P