Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The death of Multiply

How many of you have known that Multiply is closing down their blog service? I found out maybe a week (or more) ago. And then I read the "official" news on the web. I went to check my account, even though I knew I wouldn't mind if Multiply just deleted everything that I had there. Most of the writings is trash---unimportant emotional breakdowns. I have a few here too, but I have tried (maybe not so hard) to limit the cliche cheesy-smeeshy-rants. 

So, when I went to see, my Multiply account/blog was still there. There's an announcement from the Multiply dude (I'm sure he has a title AND a name, but I forgot) apologising and explaining what's going to happen with Multiply. The blog service will be closed down permanently on the first of December. Maybe a few weeks from today, they will announce how users can save and download their blogs if they want to. If not, Multiply will delete all contents. 

If I can be a bit sentimental about this, I'd say I'm a bit sad that the blog service will be terminated. My blog on blogger has been running for a longer period of time (I was just too lazy to add new posts) than my Multiply blog, but somehow I remembered I was more productive with Multiply. I did movie reviews and shit. Here, I just bitch. I guess one of the reasons why I was quite excited writing new posts for Multiply was because I could see how many people with Multiply account had read my piece. Call me a narcissist or whatever, but it's nice to know that a few people read what I had to say. Even though, there's only one person who would actually give a comment/feedback.

When I stopped writing for my Multiply blog (because of different reasons), Blogger has revised the dashboard menu. Now I can see how many people have accessed my posts. Blogger also includes statistic and other stuff, like ads, that I'm not really interested in. So moral of the story is: knowing that there are people who access my blog (incidentally or not) is quite thrilling. 

I'm sure you (people who blog) have, at least once, said to yourself: I'm only writing stuff for myself; I'm not trying to get famous or whatever; this is just a personal blog, so I don't care whether people read it or not; etc. etc. Yes, of course we write for ourselves, but does it mean we don't want other people to read it? If this is really the case, why do you have a published blog at the first place? Why don't you make it private? I like knowing that there are those who enjoy reading my blog. If I can make the readers feel something, even though it's contempt, I'd be quite happy.

I guess now I need to wait until Multiply announces how I can download my blog. It's trash, but it's my trash. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gw nyesek karena ga bisa pindahin komen2nya, hiks..

meee-moooo-riii.. *nyanyi lirih*

Unknown said...

yak, betul. sebenernya yang jadi bikin ketawa-tawa kan komentar dari orang-orang yang baca tulisan ya? gw kayanya cukup sering ngomentarin tulisan lo di situ, kan? internet is a mean vicious realm.