Monday, February 16, 2015

About drinking coffee again

I used to be a heavy coffee drinker. I would actually drink 4-5 cups a day, and they're always sweet and strong. I didn't use milk, because milk had always made me ill, even back when my lactose intolerance wasn't as bad as now. So, I used non-dairy creamer instead. Artificial. Good.

But then I stopped when my heartbeats were so mad in the afternoon after 2 or 3 cups, I thought my heart would burst. And my hands were starting to shake weirdly. That was in 2007. I didn't drink coffee after that. Maybe a sip or two if I was curious with all the sophisticated mixtures that the fancy cafes or coffee shops had from friends who were drinking them, but no more than that. I didn't even eat anything coffee-flavoured anymore. Instead, I drank tea. So much tea.

I met my boyfriend in 2013 and he drinks coffee regularly. And he likes Indonesian coffee (I mean, who doesn't?). So, he's more than excited when I visited and brought him two big bags of good Indonesian coffee. Sometimes, there would be a tiny bit of leftover from the coffee that my boyfriend made (or I made for him), and not wanting to waste good coffee, I would make a tiny cup for myself from the leftover. It was strange for my stomach at first, but then I got into the habit of sharing a pot with my boyfriend. Even when we ran out of Indonesian coffee and were forced to buy a local brand, I would still drink it together with him.

And now I'm back in Indonesia. Plenty of good coffee around with reasonable prices (don't try buying Indonesian coffee in Holland. It's ridiculous). So, now I have a new habit: making one tiny cup of coffee a day. It's not the coffee; it's the memory of sharing it.

No comments: