Monday, February 2, 2009

Freezing Jakarta

I live in Jakarta now, after spending the last 23 years of my life in Bandung. I moved when I got the job in this national media. I used to hate this city a lot. It was because the classic issues; traffic jams, pollution, super-unbelievable heat, the fast atmosphere, all of the snobs that just love being Jakartans, etc. I still hate this city because of those reasons, but now it seems life here has become a bit bearable. Why? It's freezing nowadays here in this city. Dunno why, probably because of global warming too. The weather and temperature have gone insane. I used to complain to myself how much I hated waking up with sweats everywhere, but now I can sleep with a blanket on. Mind you, I don't have air conditioner. Still can't afford one, not with my current salary.
Today's temperature was caused by last night rain. Last night the rain poured down hard. I just got back from my boyfriend's house when it started to rain. I thought it was going to be a hard-come-fast-go kinda rain. Apparently, the dear rain stayed all night. When I woke up this morning, I heard the drops on the roof, so I decided to sleep again. No sweat, no heat whatsoever. It was magnificent.
I just do hope there won't be any flood. Well, it's kinda hard not to have flood in this city. But if the house where I stay is flooded, all the houses around my house will completely drown since my house sits on a higher level. So, hopefully, no flood.
I can't say that I grow a certain likeness of this city, but the weather and temperature now really make me feel better.

No comments: