Saturday, February 7, 2009

Is It a Sin to Have a Desk Job?

I just got a new job a few days ago when finally I signed the contract. It's another media but now it's on-line and I'm not working as a proofreader anymore. Instead, I'll be working as a translator. Of course, I told my current bosses that I will resign as soon as I start my first day on the new office. Out of my expectation, one of my bosses suggested that I should stay until the end of February. I was kinda hoping he would just approve and congratulate and say good bye-adios-have a nice life. No. He said that I should try working in two places since the working hour is different. The new job requires me to work from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m., and my present job starts from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. I thought I had figured everything that I should say so I could go from that place. Apparently I didn't planned it well enough. I couldn't say anything when my boss suggested his personal opinion which actually based on a kind reason, so I could get a month-full salary. It bores me to think about my payment in this office since the HRD just loves to delay it. But, I got the impression from the boss that at least I should try it out and see how it turns out and probably don't say no before you actually try it. So, I said OK I would try. He even said that it will be OK if I come late. So nice of him... I'm going to bust my ass for ten whole days.
From that conversation, my other boss, the not-so-nice-one, asked about my new job. He immediately criticized my choice of job. He said that a person of my age should see the world, try become a reporter since I work in a [nother] media, instead of sitting behind a desk translating other people's writings. I said it's challenging because I have to learn how to translate other people's stupidity or excellence. He disagreed, of course. He thought translating is for people above 50 years, like the translator in my current office.
I felt guilty after that conversation with my boss. I felt that I made a mistake by choosing the new job.
The question now is "Is it really a mistake for choosing a desk job while you're still young and vigorous?" I don't have the passion to become a journalist. Yes, I know that it can be fun; it will take me everywhere, possibly abroad; it gives new information every day or minute, and so on and so forth. But, I prefer translating articles, novels, and other stuff rather than running around all day covering events dan news. Is it a stupid mistake to think that way?
Well, based on my boss' perception, I am making less use of my skill and youth. He thought that since I'm still young and working in a media, I should try a more challenging job, becoming a reporter.
I thought since I love translating, don't have any passion for becoming a journalist and enjoy my time in front of my computer, it is really not a bad call, right?
Anyway, the new office pays double... :D

No comments: