Monday, October 17, 2011

Beer and cigarettes

A couple of days ago, I had lunch with a friend in an Indonesian restaurant which has okay-ish food and serves beers. The beer was the reason I chose the place at the first place. It was a hot humid bright afternoon, and I felt like a glass of cold beer. I think it was because of my delighted expression that my friend saw made him started to talk about my relationship with booze in general.

I used to go out and drink, quite a lot. These days I appreciate moderate intake of booze. I still enjoy the taste of wine or perfectly chilled beer, and will never say no to a mojito. But I will always try to set the bar low. I don't like getting drunk (not anymore anyway). It's too much of a hassle. Not to mention the aching body and splitting head when I wake up the next morning.

Booze is also closely related to cigarettes for me. I remember writing about quitting smoking on my other blog, and ended up arguing with this one guy who just attacked me because I "defended" smokers. At that time, I was planning to reduce my cigarette's consumption. I have done quite well so far. I never smoke during the day anymore, and hardly smoke at night time. Plus, lots of the people I hang out with are non-smokers, so I restrain myself even more from smoking.

And just last night I met my ex boyfriend who apparently decided to become a teetotaler for at least six months. I was quite surprised: he was a serious drinker. So then of course I asked his reasons, and his reply sounded sincere (oddly enough). He tends to be so careless every time he gets drunk: he has lost so much stuff, ranging from mobile phones to glasses. He has split his forehead open once, and forgotten about his wallet, money and stuff. So, he thinks it must be changed. He can't afford loosing stuff just because he's drunk.

Which leads me to think, if that irresponsible guy can do it, why can't I? He also managed to quit smoking instantly after he spent almost every day smoking like crazy. Quoting my said friend, "I don't think you are committed to either of them that much." That's true, I'm not. So, let's see how far I can push the limit.

No comments: