Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Alert! Stingy client ahead!

When I decided to work as a freelancer and left my tiny cubicle at my old office, I knew that there would be a catch. Freelancing gives me lots of freedom and space to move. That's the main point but of course, there's a catch. You have to deal with clients, and not all of them are pleasant and cooperative.

I've had different clients over the years working as a freelance translator and editor. I've got annoying ones, cooperative ones, kind-but-don't-understand-anything ones, stubborn-but-smart ones, etc.

And just recently, I got a super stingy one. The client actually paid less than the amount on the invoice. It's not much, though, only IDR 1000 (8.7 US cents) gone missing.  But, how can this be right? If you go out for a meal, and then the waiter hands you a bill that says $14.08, can you actually get away with only paying $14? Unless, the waiter/manager says otherwise, you have to pay that 8 cents. That's just how trade works. 

It's not the fact that I didn't get my 8.7 cents (yes, it is ONLY 8.7 cents, for god's sake); it's about the fact that the client just did this without saying anything to me beforehand and that I already gave her a discounted rate. Losing 8.7 cents is not enough reason to get cranky, but getting the feeling that the client probably doesn't appreciate me is another matter. But I shouldn't be too surprised. This is the same client who, a couple of years ago, told me I was still a rookie and didn't deserve to get a professional rate, AFTER I finished the job before the deadline and sent it to her.

I took this project because it involved a friend and it was him who wanted me to translate for him. Unfortunately, the project was related to that particular client. So, if there's should be a moral of this story, it will be: avoid clients whom already gave you bad experience at any cost.
    

No comments: