Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Thank you, 2013

Looking back, 2013 has been quite exciting. I travelled a lot and did a lot, for someone who works and sleeps in the same room. I went to six different countries and met a whole lot of new people. I redefined freedom and myself. I also found things that I didn't think I'd find in life any time soon. I found a home and love that goes with it.

Meeting people has always been one of the goals when I travel and I think I have somewhat achieved this. I made new friends, very good friends too. It's nice to realise that nation borders don't mean anything when you share so many things in common, even if that's only your taste in music or food. Relating to people who were total strangers before because you shared a similar history or talking to people who have similar interest in culture and politics reminds me that humans are essentially alike, despite the other attributes that defined you a person, different from the others.

Freedom has always been a muddled concept for me, especially if you're a female and you live in Indonesia and have a family who is a bit crazy about religion. It would become even more complicated if you don't share your family's belief or faith. I had never understood what it felt or meant to be free (as in, free to live life according to how I see fit) until I travelled. When I went to different countries and saw how people, culture and social norms could be so different to the place I used to call "home", I realised that hey, yes, I can actually be free and be myself, and I won't get punished or chastised for doing so. I really love travelling. It reminds me that the world isn't such a bad place, and although there are so many dumbshits in this human civilisation, you'd still find the rare gems and when you do, you'd cherish them even more. 

And now I have a home where I can go back to. Yes, it is new and still needs a better, more solid foundation, but the process has started and I am more than happy to sweat and bleed to make a nice safe comfortable home. And this time, I am not alone. This time, I have someone who is also willing to work hard, together.

So, 2013 has been eventful. I ended things and started new even more exciting things. I travelled and found home in my travel. I learnt new things and met new people. I understood myself better and knew that I could be better. I am thanking myself, fellow humans and the world for this amazing year. And may the following year will be as eventful and joyous.


 

No comments: